PDA

View Full Version : Emission Control Packages: California vs New York/New Jersey

Valentine One Radar Detector

rjemery
01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I expect to be purchasing a new car soon, but within a year I may be relocating from New Jersey to California. I have asked local dealers if I can buy or order a new car that would come equipped with a CA emission control package but have been told that all new cars sold in NY or NJ have the same or equivalent package.

Is that true? I don't want to have to go through an expensive upgrade or retrofit once the car is registered in CA.

Jim Rose
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
There is an emission sticker on each vehicle that tells of the level of control it is built to--- You could also ask the dealer to put his statement into writing---

Eric
01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
"I expect to be purchasing a new car soon, but within a year I may be relocating from New Jersey to California. I have asked local dealers if I can buy or order a new car that would come equipped with a CA emission control package but have been told that all new cars sold in NY or NJ have the same or equivalent package.

Is that true? I don't want to have to go through an expensive upgrade or retrofit once the car is registered in CA."

Hi Robert,

It's my understanding that many New England/Northeast states already have California emissions (or their equivalent) so you should be covered; the thing to do, in any case, is contact the CA state DMV and ask them what the requirements are. When you find out, please let us know!

chiph
01-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I think you'd have to get a CARB (California Air Resources Board) exemption letter. But my info might be out of date.

Chip H.

jdm124
01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
A copy of the emissions sticker under the hood of my RAV4 bought in NY State last month is attached.

Jim Rose
01-12-2007, 11:48 PM
A copy of the emissions sticker under the hood of my RAV4 bought in NY State last month is attached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does that mean that NY will get some relief and you will now grace the sands of Ahnold?

DonTom
01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Is that true? I don't want to have to go through an expensive upgrade or retrofit once the car is registered in CA.

For current info, start here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm)

-Don-

jdm124
01-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Does that mean that NY will get some relief and you will now grace the sands of Ahnold?

There are but two kinds of relief in NYS: one is a good dump and the other is welfare.

OK, maybe a third, departure.

Jim Rose
01-13-2007, 09:50 AM
>>There are but two kinds of relief in NYS: one is a good dump and the other is welfare.

OK, maybe a third, departure.<<

I experienced 2 out of the three----- Never did welfare---

jdm124
01-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Maybe you did welfare and didn't know it, especially if selling emissions testing equipment. I'm pretty sure that NYS kept the equipment requirement higher than needed simply to pay off the equipment people.

Jim Rose
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
>>Maybe you did welfare and didn't know it, especially if selling emissions testing equipment. I'm pretty sure that NYS kept the equipment requirement higher than needed simply to pay off the equipment people. <<

Actually, that ended after the first program where there was only one supplier-- Hamilton Test-- Once a few more entered the national programs, it became a competetive market. That happened in 1982 when Mass. entered thier program and we gave Hamilton test a real run for it. I ran the program for our company then. I set the standards for marketing the stuff and my program is still used today.
The equipment was all computerized and the big differences was the software for different states. Each had their own ideas as to how things should be handled and recorded. All we did was to comply with the specs using existing equipment.
Trust me on this-- it was no picnic and the states did very little to make the job easier.

jdm124
01-14-2007, 12:09 PM
OK, the market was competitive but that's not big pacture.

More players meant more money paid to the politicians who kept what was a non-essential program going for years so that the players could sell stuff. And in NYS, the inspection stickers were 'sold' to shops by the sate at some unconscionable price. Then again, this is NY, the home of the most venal pols in the universe.

Today, on OBD II cars it is a matter of a simple plug-in reading. For whatever reason, nobody does the required safety checks anymore.

Jim Rose
01-15-2007, 12:54 AM
>>More players meant more money paid to the politicians who kept what was a non-essential program going for years so that the players could sell stuff. And in NYS, the inspection stickers were 'sold' to shops by the sate at some unconscionable price. Then again, this is NY, the home of the most venal pols in the universe.<<

But the vehicles that got real inspections did clean up the air there quite a bit--- Some inspections were sold, but the majority were done right!

>>Today, on OBD II cars it is a matter of a simple plug-in reading. For whatever reason, nobody does the required safety checks anymore.<<

OBD is only used on vehicles built since 1996. Vehicles prior to that were not standard at the plug and the readings were different for each mfg.
Safety checks went the way of the "you'll legislate the poor people off the road" BS from the liberal politicians. Safety inspection today consists of making sure all the lights work and that the brake pedal is firm.